Microfilariae in the lab
his course will present a limited selection of the filarial worms and the techniques that can be used to diagnose filariasis in low-resource settings.
At the end of this course, you will be able to:
- indicate the diagnostic and infectious stage of filarial worms
- describe the general morphology of the different microfilariae
- discuss on the diagnostic possibilities for the different types of filariasis
- explain the sampling conditions needed to find these parasites
- correctly identify and report filariasis using macroscopy and/or microscopy
- assess the risk these parasites present to the laboratory staff
The course concludes with a quiz!
Press here to begin!