Parasites in the lab and in the gut
This course will present a limited selection of the most commonly found helminths and protozoans in low-resource settings. Only the most basic techniques to detect these parasites will be discussed.
At the end of this course, you will be able to:
- describe the general morphology of the trematodes, cestodes and nematodes
- recognize the discussed helminths macroscopically and/or using microscopy
- describe the general morphology of intestinal amibae and flagellates
- recognize a selection of these protozoans using microscopy
- indicate the diagnostic and infectious stage of the discussed parasites
- explain the sampling conditions needed to find these parasites
- assess the risk these parasites present to the laboratory staff
The course concludes with a quiz! …and you can win prizes…!
Press here to begin!